UCR Policies and Procedures

Printer Friendly Version

Campus Policy Number: 900-80

Vehicle Rental and Hotel/Motel Accommodations

Policy Owner: Fleet Services

Effective Date: 5/1/2000


  1. Car Rentals

    The Materiel Management Office (x3001) maintains a supply of identification cards for issuance to University employees. These I.D. cards are to be shown when using car rental agencies offering discounts to University employees; employees may take advantage of these discounts for either University or personal travel.

    Contract Rentals - Passenger Vehicles

    The University has Planned Purchasing Agreements with the major national car rental agencies. All of these contracts provide, at no additional charge, collision damage protection for the driver as a University employee. CDW covers the cost of the repair or replacement of the rented vehicle if damage is sustained during the rental period. Depending upon the rental agency used, all or a portion of the cost will be covered by the CDW.

    Upon completing the rental agreement form at the respective customer service counter, the renter will be asked to initial three boxes on the form to indicate the decline or acceptance of additional insurance (CDW-Collision Damage Waiver, PAI-Personal Accident Insurance and PEC-Personal Effects Coverage). The renter must initial to decline the additional insurance, unless he/she intends to be responsible for the associated cost (the University will not reimburse for such costs). CDW is provided automatically as part of the University's agreement.

    Exception:    Effective July 1, 1988, the Hertz Corporation no longer requires renters to initial "Accepts" or "Declines" boxes.

    Employees are advised to check with their own personal insurance company to see what coverage, if any, they have pertaining to rental vehicles.


      NOTE: The traveler must understand that he/she is financially liable for the cost of any collision damage, including replacement value, in the event there is damage without CDW coverage. CDW coverage is recommended due to the potential financial exposure for the individual.


    All Special Purpose Vehicles - For the rental of trucks, trailers or other special equipment, the CDW coverage must be accepted by initialling the "Accepts" box for CDW. Payment/reimbursement for CDW is authorized for rental of special purpose vehicles under any circumstances.

    Official Campus Guests - Official non-employee guests of UCR may be reimbursed for CDW coverage.


  3. Hotels and Motels

    The Materiel Manager's Office (x3001) maintains a file, and the identification numbers of all hotels and motels offering discounts to University employees traveling on University business.

Request for Term Lease Rental