UCR Policies and Procedures

Printer Friendly Version

Campus Policy Number: 750-63

Purchasing Authority
Policy Owner: Purchasing
Effective Date: 07/01/14


    The authority to contract, and thereby commit funds, on behalf of the University is initially delegated from The Regents to the Chancellor. The Chancellor has subsequently delegated total procurement authority to the Purchasing Division through the Materiel Manager. The Purchasing Division, therefore, is the only entity authorized to commit funds through the execution of purchase contracts or purchase orders. The Materiel Manager may, however, redelegate limited authority to departments to allow utilization of authorized procurement methods (presented below).


    The following procurement methods are the only acceptable means by which to purchase goods and services. A specific policy and procedure number is provided in parentheses, to assist departments in locating information and requirements associated with each method.

    1. Purchase Requisitions (750-60)
    2. Blanket Orders and Sub Purchase Orders(750-03)
    3. Low-value Purchase Authorization Program (750-39)
    4. Petty Cash (200-72)
    5. State Surplus Letters of Authorization (750-81)
    6. Consultant Agreements (750-27)
    1. Buildings or remodeling of buildings (contact Architects & Engineers).
    2. Contracts for entertainment, i.e., bands, theater groups, etc. (contact the Manager for Performing Arts Presentations).
    3. Insurance (contact the campus office of Insurance and Business Agreements).
    4. Airline tickets and hotel accommodations (contact the travel agency of your choice).
    5. Subcontracts/subagreements for scholarly research (contact the Office of Research Affairs).
    6. Miscellaneous payments, including awards, fellowships, casual labor, freight, honorariums, memberships, postage, petty cash items, student stipends, telephone, telegraph, teletype and travel expenses, and tuition (contact the Accounting Office, Vouchers Payable Section).
    7. Temporary personnel services (contact Personnel).
    8. Real property rentals, leases and purchases (contact the Office of Real Estate Development).
    9. Transportation/freight services (contact Receiving).
    10. Household moves (contact Receiving Manager).
    11. Training, i.e., seminars, classes, etc. (contact Accounting, Vouchers Payable Section).
    12. Respirators, dust masks and related supplies (contact Environmental Health & Safety).

    Unauthorized purchases are purchase transactions that are either entered into by an individual that is not authorized to contract on behalf of the University, or entered into by an individual normally authorized to contract, but who uses an unauthorized procurement method, or exceeds their delegated authority.

    An individual may be personally responsible for payment of charges incurred by an unauthorized purchase of goods or services. At the discretion of the Chancellor, the unauthorized individual may be required to pay:

    1. The full amount, whenever the purchase is found to cover unneeded items or unauthorized items that cannot be canceled/returned.
    2. The amount of any cancellation charges incurred, whenever the unauthorized purchase can be canceled/returned.
    3. The difference between the charges incurred and those the University would have incurred if proper methods had been used, provided the purchase is found to be otherwise proper.

    If a department accepts responsibility for payment of incurred charges from an unauthorized purchase, the department must submit the following:

    1. A purchase requisition containing all required information. (See Policy 750-60)
    2. Evidence of the purchase and receipt of the item(s), i.e., invoices, packing slips, etc.
    3. A written statement explaining the circumstances that led to the unauthorized purchase, and the steps taken to prevent its reoccurrence.

    In the event the responsible department does not wish to approve payment, the Purchasing Manager should be contacted for advice.


    Regardless of the procurement method utilized, the required approvals indicated must be obtained prior to purchasing the following items:

    Ammunition/Explosives/Firearms Health & Safety
    Bottled Water College/Org. Unit Financial Officer or Designee (Considerations for approval may include proximity to existing potable water sources and use of area served, e.g. meeting room, etc.)
    Cash Registers Campus Cashier Coordinator
    Controlled Substances/Narcotics or Dangerous Drugs (See 850-35) Authorized Department Representative and Health & Safety
    Consultants (See 750-27) Department Chair, Dean or Vice Chancellor, Materiel Manager and Research Office (when charged to C&G funds)
    Decorative Items Department Chair or Department Fin. & Admin. Officer
    Draperies, Floor & Wall Coverings Health & Safety, Architects & Engineers and Physical Plant
    Fire Fighting Equipment Health & Safety
    Foodstuffs, Beverages, and Catering Department Chair <$250 Vice Chancellor/Dean >$250
    Food Preparation Equipment (other than for labs or Food Service areas) Department Chair or Department Fin. & Admin. Officer
    Heaters and Air Conditioners (other than for research application) Physical Plant
    Household Moves Vice Chancellor/Dean
    Protective Clothing Health & Safety
    Prepaid Orders (over $500) Purchasing Manager
    Printing and Typesetting Printing & Reprographics
    Purchases from University Employees or Near Relative of UC Employee Materiel Manager and Employee's Department Chair
    Personal Use Items Department Chair & Vice Chancellor/Dean
    Radioactive Items Health & Safety
    Respirators Health & Safety
    Repairs to Personal Property,

    < $500

    > $500

    Department Chair,

    Vice Chancellor/Dean

    Repairs to the Plant Physical Plant and/or Architects & Engineers
    Safety Glasses Health & Safety
    Telephone Attachments Computing & Data Communications
    Vehicles Vice Chancellor/Dean & Manager of Auxiliary Services
    Vending Machines Purchasing Manager
    Wooden Office Furniture Department Chair and Vice Chancellor/Dean

    University credit, purchasing power, and facilities shall not be used to purchase goods or services for individuals or non-university activities. Organizations and activities closely allied or officially associated with the University (i.e., University Club, ASUCR, and Credit Union) may be permitted to purchase materials through the Purchasing Division, with the approval of the Chancellor.


    A Conflict of Interest form (see Exhibit 1) must be completed by an employee in coordination with the department requesting the procurement of goods or services when that employee, or a firm in which that employee, or a near relative of that employee, has more than a 10% ownership interest in the business emterprise from which the department is requesting the procurement of the goods or services. The completed COI form must accompany the departmental requisition.

    A University employee is defined as an individual who is presently employed by the University.Near relative is defined as a spouse, child, parent, brother, sister, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and step-relatives in the same relationship.

    Conflict of Interest forms may be obtained from the Purchasing Division. Additional information, definitions, and restrictions are detailed on the reverse side of the Conflict of Interest form.

    • "Office Furniture Purchase Standards," 11/27/90 memo from UC Budget Director Mimms.
    • RPPM 200-44

    Business and Finance Bulletins:

    • BUS-43 - Materiel Management
    • PM-3 - Purchase of Rugs and Carpet