CampusPolicy Number: 700-10
Policy Owner: Vice Chancellor--Student Services & Enrollment Mgmt.
Effective Date: 10/1/83
- Sale of Goods and Services
- Sale of non-commercial literature incidental to the exercise of freedom of speech, assembly, or worship.
- Auxiliary enterprises (e.g., Bookstore, Food Service, Main Desk) established in accordance with Systemwide and campus policy are authorized to sell goods or services primarily to benefit the campus community.
- Vendors invited to the campus for Market Day in December and May, and those vendors sponsored by registered student and campus organizations and scheduled through the Campus Activities Office.
- Advertising Exception for Commercial Tenants
University regulations generally prohibit or restrict commercial activities such as use of University properties for commercial purposes or for personal financial gain; commercial use of the University name or seal; posting and/or distribution of commercial materials; and co-sponsorship of events, programs, or activities with commercial enterprises.
University regulations prohibit individuals, organizations, or firms from conducting sales of any sort, including food sales, on University property, with the following exceptions:
Any exceptions to this policy require the approval of the Vice Chancellor - Administration.
Advertising is defined as written or oral publicity for the purpose of generating sales of commercial products or services. University regulations prohibit the distribution or posting of commercial advertising. However, advertising by campus auxiliary enterprises is permitted.
Advertising materials by individual commercial tenants may not be distributed on campus. Tenants may advertise in the student newspaper as may other off-campus commercial enterprises.
Bannockburn commercial tenants may advertise on campus, using campus printing and mail facilities, provided the following criteria are met:
- The advertising is limited to once per year and is under the controlled direction and approval of the Bannockburn Manager.
- The circular is of a composite nature (i.e., several commercial tenants advertising in one circular).
Distribution of advertising and promotional materials regarding the Bank of America's automatic teller machine located in the Commons is permitted only at specified times during the year, and requires prior approval of the Vice Chancellor -Administration.
Employee organizations may advertise and solicit support of their organizations and affiliate organizations through the use of designated areas on general bulletin boards. Specific procedures are described in the Staff Personnel Manual, Procedures Section 801.
Registered campus organizations are permitted to conduct fund raising activities. Please refer to Section 700-30. Off campus persons and/or organizations may not solicit for contributions on campus. Exceptions require the approval of the Vice Chancellor - Administration.